Skimlinks

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

My first Butternut Squash Soup!

This was my own creation

I couldn't find a recipe online that I liked all of, so I used what I had available and just put it together myself =) First time I didn't follow a recipe or someone's guidelines!

 You'll need:
Two medium/large butternut squashes
One large pan & one skillet
Milk
Honey
Sweet yellow onion
Fresh Thyme
Butter
Sea Salt & Pepper
Olive Oil
Fresh Garlic
Either water or Vegetable broth. (I used some frozen veggie stock cubes)

Most of the recipes I found instructed you to peel the butternut squash and to dice it & boil the squash. I simply cut mine in half, spooned out the seeds, and baked them. 
Place them open side down on a cookie sheet & fill the tray with about half an inch of water.
Bake them for 45 mins to an hour at 350.

 While your squash are cooling, heat some olive oil on medium high heat.
Add your chopped onion and chopped garlic
I added some fresh thyme sprigs as well
Heat until onions are soft
 By now, your squash should be cool enough to handle
Spoon the flesh of the squash into the pan, use a potato masher to really mush up the squash.
I then added a couple of cups, approx, of milk 
About a cup and a half of veggie stock
1/4 cup, approx, of honey
Sea salt & pepper to your preference
I'll be honest, when I'm cooking, I tend to just pour this stuff right into the pan and don't always measure -thus all of the " about"s and " approx"s lol ;-)
It seems to work out pretty good for me so far, I'm sure once in a while I'll wish I had measured, but it hasn't happened yet ;-)
When I'm following a recipe I find online or get from a friend, I follow those measurements though.
I used my Braun hand held immersion blender to really make sure this was smooth, with no real chunks. I brought it to a boil on medium heat.
I then removed from heat but put the lid on left it to simmer like this for about an hour, not opening the lid so as to not let any of the heat out.
This was my first time just throwing something together myself and I think it really came out well! 
The one bummer is, I had intended on cooking one white sweet potato & adding that in and I forgot. So I will have to add that next time and see how it comes out :)
Overall though, I felt this was a success in my kitchen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment