Skimlinks

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Rainbow Chard Salad!

First time having Rainbow Chard!

Chard is actually a member of the beet family

Fresh tasty salad, makes a great side dish!

 What you'll need:
Olive Oil
White Wine Vinegar
A couple of mixing bowls
Italian seasoning (basically a mix of Thyme, Marjoram, Basil, Oregano, etc)
Canned or frozen corn
Salt & Pepper (I prefer Sea Salt)
Fresh Garlic-chopped
Either Red or Sweet yellow onion-chopped (I use sweet onion in everything I cook because I prefer it's flavor over red and because red onion or white onion can sometimes be too spicy for me)
Rainbow Chard (It is so pretty!!!)

 First, remove the leafy greens from the stems. 
Then you'll cut the stems into about 1/2" pieces
Coarsely chop the leaves & set them aside for now.
Place the stems in boiling water and let them cook about two mins
 Add your corn. Because I used frozen corn, I let this cook about two mins before I added the leaves.
 If you use canned corn, you can just add the corn and leaves at the same time. Let this cook 2-3 mins or until the stems are tender.
 Drain your mix and set aside for a few minutes
 Heat up some olive oil on medium heat & add your chopped onion and chopped garlic.
Add a splash of white wine vinegar & your seasonings.
You can also just use an Italian dressing instead of the olive oil/seasonings/vinegar.
Cook this until the onions begin to get tender. (about 2-4 mins)
Add your leaf/corn mix & cook this for two to three minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove from pan and let cool for a few minutes before enjoying!
I just ate it by itself, but this would be very good next to a roasted chicken breast
or some grilled fish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment